Baton Rouge Bicycle Accident Lawyer
After being injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering what you should do next and whether or not you should file a personal injury claim against the driver who struck you. A bicycle accident attorney represents injured victims and helps them get the compensation they deserve.
A bicycle accident attorney can be your guide as you navigate your lawsuit. Murray & Murray LLC has dealt with bicycle accidents and other types of personal injury cases in Baton Rouge with great success for many years. We offer free consultations to all of our potential new clients where we listen to your side of the story and provide advice on how to proceed in your personal injury case.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 843 bicyclists lost their lives in motor vehicle crashes in 2019, a 3% decrease from the 868 bicyclist deaths that occurred the year before. Bicycle deaths were at their lowest point in 2010 but have increased 36% since then. Most victims were adults age 20 and older. Bicyclists make up 2 percent of all deaths caused by motor vehicle crashes.
Common Injuries Caused by Bike Accidents
Bicycle accidents can lead to serious injuries because a bicyclist does not have the same level of external protection as they would if they were in a car. When a car strikes a biker, it directly impacts the body or the wheels of the bike. This causes the biker to lose balance or be flung onto the road or oncoming traffic, resulting in a serious personal injury. You can speak to a bicycle accident attorney about compensation for your medical bills.
The most common fractures are of the hip, ribs, and facial bones. Spinal fractures are very common as well. If pieces of bone from the vertebrae break and cut into the spinal cord, it can cause paralysis.
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
TBI is a catch-all phrase that captures all of the various injuries that affect the brain, from cranial hemorrhage, concussion to skull fractures.
Road rash is a painful skin condition caused by the bicyclist’s skin coming into contact with the asphalt or other hard surfaces after being thrown from the bicycle.
Abdominal and Internal Organ Damage
Injuries to internal organs and soft tissue are common when bicyclists hit the handlebars during their accident. A doctor will need to examine the stomach to check for internal bleeding and other serious injuries.
Spine and Neck Injuries
As some of the most common and serious injuries after bike accidents, neck and spinal injuries will require medical attention immediately. These can lead to whiplash, paralysis, and other serious issues.
Even if you were involved in a minor bicycle accident, you may have been injured more than you realize. Some symptoms don’t present themselves until days or weeks after the accident. You should go to the nearest emergency room after your bicycle accident to be checked by a medical professional who can conduct imaging on the affected areas of your body and detect serious issues. Your bicycle accident attorney will fight for you to get the compensation you need for your medical expenses.
Preventing Bike Accidents
Bicycle safety is essential. Most bicycle deaths occur between 3 PM and 9 PM due to heavy traffic and the sun setting, thus reducing visibility. Bicycle accidents are also most likely to occur in urban areas with a lot of traffic. Saturdays are the most likely days for a bicycle accident to occur. But there are some tips you can follow to stay safe on your bicycle:
- Always wear reflective material, especially when riding at dusk or dawn
- Always check your bicycle equipment before you ride
- Always use bike hand signals to communicate with drivers and other cyclists
- Bike without distractions
- Always travel in the same direction as cars on the road, and go with the traffic flow.
- Stay off of sidewalks where you could hit pedestrians.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted drivers: Distracted driving is one of the most common reasons for all types of motor vehicle accidents. Texting, talking on the phone, or using social media are all forms of distracted driving.
- Not checking before turning: When drivers try to make turns and do not check for bikers, they can turn their vehicle onto the bicyclist’s path.
- Speeding: drivers who speed cannot respond to changing road conditions quickly. Even if a driver is going at a relatively low speed, such as when driving through a residential neighborhood, they can still cause significant injuries when hitting a bicyclist.
- Dooring: when a person opens any door of a motor vehicle without first checking to ensure that there is no biker in the way, it causes injuries
- Drunk driving: As one of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is one of the most common reasons why bicycle accidents occur
Call A Baton Rouge Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you should speak to a Baton Rouge bicycle accident attorney about your rights and ability to recover your damages. Under Louisiana personal injury law, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, missed time at work, expenses related to your bicycle accident such as child care, as well as compensation for the pain and suffering that you have endured.
Murray & Murray LLC has been representing Baton Rouge clients for years, providing them legal guidance during one of the most challenging times of their life. Our former clients describe us as caring, prompt when responding to client inquiries, and knowledgeable. When you have been injured in a bicycle accident, hiring a personal injury lawyer will increase your chances of getting the justice you deserve. Call today to schedule your free case evaluation with a Baton Rouge bicycle accident lawyer.